This article describes QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82 and how it can be solved. QuickBooks error 6144 82 occurs when users try to open the company file.
Causes of QuickBooks 6144 82 Error
This error is usually caused by a faulty network setup.
Steps to Fix QuickBooks 6144 82 Error
NOTE: First, QuickBooks must be updated and the QuickBooks File Doctor run before the steps mentioned here are taken. If the error still occurs, all the solutions mentioned here must be performed in the given order
If The File Is Opened Locally
Total Time: 35 minutes
Renaming The .ND And .TLG Files
💠 First, the folder containing the company file must be opened. Then, the files with the same name as the company file, but with .ND and .TLG extensions, must be found:
💠 Example: company_file.qbw.nd, company_file.qbw.tlg
💠 After right-clicking the files, choose Rename and then ‘OLD’ must be added to the end of every file’s name. Example: company_file.qbw.nd.OLD
💠 Now, QuickBooks must be opened and users should try to open the company file. If the error persists, go to the next solution.
Opening A Sample Company File
💠 Users must choose Open A Sample File in the No Company Open window and select a sample file from the list.
💠 If the file opens, go to the next solution. But the same error occurs, the QuickBooks installation files must be repaired.
Copying The QuickBooks File On The Desktop
💠 First, the file containing the company file must be opened and the file with .QBW extension found. After right-clicking on the file, choose Copy. Then, right-click on the computer’s desktop and chooses Paste.
💠 Now, open QuickBooks while pressing down the Control key. This will take users to the No Company Window.
💠 Now, choose Open Or Restore An Existing Company. Now, go to the desktop and open the copied company file.
💠 If the error isn’t fixed, go to the next solution.
Restoring A Backup of The Company File
💠 Users must check that their computers are not hosting.
💠 After opening the company file, select Utilities in the File menu. In case Stop Hosting Multi-User Access is on the list, users must choose it and then select Yes in the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access window.
💠 Then, after closing the company file window, select Yes.
💠 Next, it must be ensured that the path to the company faille isn’t longer than 210 characters.
💠 After going to the company file’s location, users must copy the path provided in the address bar and paste it in Notepad and count the character length, including the spaces.
For example: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Sample Company Files\QuickBooks 2018\Sample_company_file.qbw is 125 characters.
💠 Then, users must try to restore the QuickBooks company file. If unsuccessful, they must go to the next solution.
Using ADR To Restore Backup
💠 In case the company file has been damaged, users must retrieve the lost data using QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery.
QuickBooks Company File is Opened Over a Network
If this is the case, the company file is saved in the server or another system.
⛔ Checking If All Workstations Have Hosting Turned On
- Ideally, one computer or server should host the company files.
- Users must first press F2 for opening the Product Information window. There, Local Server Information must be found and hosting turned off.
⛔ Renaming The .ND And .TLG Files And Restarting The DBM
- After the files are renamed, the Database Server Manager (DBSM) must be restarted and the QuickBooks files rescanned.
- First go to Start >All Programs > QuickBooks > QuickBooks Database Server Manager and select the Scan Folders tab. If there are no folders, choose Add Folder. Else, the folder containing the files must be highlighted and then Scan chosen.
- Next, it must be checked that the required company file is in the bottom box titled ‘QuickBooks Company Files Found’. Then, users must try opening the file.
- QuickBooks must be reopened and users must try signing in to the company file. If the error isn’t fixed, go to the next solution.
⛔ Opening A Sample Company File Locally Installed In A Computer
Users must choose Open A Sample File in the No Company Open window and select a sample file from the list. If the file opens, go to the next solution, else the QuickBooks installation must be repaired.
⛔ Opening Company File Locally
Check the steps mentioned in ‘Copying the QB file on the desktop’ mentioned above. If the error recurs, go to the next solution.
⛔ Closing All QuickBooks Processes
- Users must first log in as Admin in the server computer and then press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the Task Manager. Then, choose the Users tab for showing the processes for all users.
- Next, all QuickBooks processes (EXE, qbupdate.exe, and QBDBMgr.exe) must be highlighted and then End Task chosen. Then, the company file must be opened in multi-user mode. If the error isn’t fixed, go to the next solution.
⛔ Checking Folder Permissions Manually
The error might occur if the folder containing the file doesn’t have the proper permission. After checking the folder permissions for sharing the company file, users must try reopening the file. If the error persists, go to the next solution.
⛔ Configuring Firewall Port And Anti-Virus
The error might occur if the computer’s firewall and anti-virus is not allowing access to certain QB files/programs. If yes, then the firewall ports must be configured and an exception set up for the anti-virus.
If the error is still not fixed or if you are unsure about performing some steps, please call our Accounting Problem QuickBooks Technical Support Team at this toll-free helpline number . The Accounting Problem QuickBooks helpdesk can answer all QuickBooks-related queries instantly.