This article answers the query: Will QuickBooks work with Windows 10? QuickBooks is accounting software that’s meant for small and medium-size enterprises across industries. It allows on-site and cloud management of payments, billing and payroll functions. The Windows 10 operating system released by Microsoft in 2015 is an optional update for users from their current version of Windows.
Information for Compatibility of Windows 10 and QuickBooks Desktop.
NOTE : QuickBooks 2016 R7 and later releases are compatible with Windows 10. If users have an earlier release, they must update QuickBooks to the current release.
QuickBooks Desktop can be updated to the latest release manually and automatically.
It is important to note that updating to a new release (such as from QuickBooks 2017 R3P to R5P) is not the same as upgrading to a new version of QuickBooks (such as from QuickBooks Desktop 2017 to QB Desktop 2018)
Checking if User has the Current Release of QB Desktop
While QuickBooks is open, users must press F2 (or Ctrl + 1). This will open the Product Information window, where users can check the latest version and release.
Downloading and Installing QuickBooks Release Updates
When users update to a new release of QuickBooks Desktop, say from R3P to R5P, often some small changes have to be made to the database. But the changes won’t affect the compatibility of the data file with earlier releases.
1: Downloading US QuickBooks
- Users must first go to the QuickBooks downloads and updates page and choose their QuickBooks product in the Select Product drop-down menu.
- Then, in the Select Version drop-down menu, the correct version or year must be chosen. Then, Search must be chosen.
- Now, users must choose Get The Latest Updates and then choose Save/Save File for downloading the update.
- Once the download is completed, user must double-click for installing the update. The computer might haver to be rebooted after the installation is over.
- For manually installing updates across a network, users can do one the following:
- The install file on user’s computer can be accessed from another computer
- The install file can be copied to a flash drive and then to the desktop of a separate computer
2: From within QuickBooks Desktop
- In the File menu, users must choose Close Company/Logoff. If many company files are opened in QuickBooks, this must be done for all the company files that are open.
- Next, users must choose Exit in File menu. Then, right-clicking on the QB Desktop icon, they must choose Run As Administrator.
- Next, in the No Company Open screen, users must choose Update QuickBooks from the Help menu.
- Then, in the Options tab, choose Mark All, followed by Save.
- Now, in the Update Now tab, select the Restart Update box and then the Get Updates button.
- Once ‘Update Complete’ is displayed, QuickBooks must be closed. Then, QuickBooks must be reopened and if the message for installing update appears, users must choose Yes. When the installation is done the computer must be restarted.
NOTE: Payroll subscribers must download the current payroll tax table for US for processing payroll in QuickBooks. Users’ payroll subscription should be active.
3: Critical fixes (ULIP)
- The Ultra Light Patch (ULIP) feature in QuickBooks allows minor fixes to be delivered without any actual release patch. The release process of the patch will continue. For example: R releases such as 2017 R5.
- The critical fixes can be applied by taking the same steps as mentioned in option 2 above. It is necessary to select Critical Fixes before downloading the updates.
1: Downloading and Installing Automatic Update Immediately
- Users must choose Update QuickBooks in the Help menu. Then, they must go to the Update Now tab in the Update QuickBooks window. No changes have to be made in the table.
- As an option, users can select the Reset Update box for deleting all prior update downloads. This might extend the time needed for the update. Then, choose Get Updates.
- Once done, QuickBooks must be restarted and then when there’s a prompt, users must accept the option for installing the release.
2: Downloading Automatically at a Future Date
- First, in the Help menu, users must choose Update QuickBooks. Then in the Update QuickBooks window, users must go to the Options tab. There they must choose the Yes radio button for switching on the automatic updates.
- As an option, users can share the automatic updates with other systems in the network, by choosing the Yes radio button.
- Once done, choose Yes. QuickBooks will download the update once it’s released.
For any assistance on this topic, please call our Accounting Problem QuickBooks Technical Support Team at this toll-free helpline number. The Accounting Problem QuickBooks helpdesk is available 24X7 to resolve any QuickBooks-related issue.