QuickBooks payroll update errors aren’t common because the payroll updates are downloaded alongside the regular updates. If you’re downloading the payroll updates separately, and you get an error while loading the updates, then we need to look at several options to resolve this error.
In this post, you’ll learn how to fix QuickBooks payroll won’t update error.
🔰 Run QuickBooks Payroll Won’t Update as an Admin
QuickBooks Desktop requires admin privileges to download and install payroll updates. If you’re not signed into an admin user account in either windows or QuickBooks, then you’ll get an error.
To ensure that QuickBooks has admin privileges to make changes and install updates, follow the steps provided below:
- Open the Start menu.
- Search for QuickBooks and right click on the icon.
- Click on Run as Administrator.
- If a popup comes up asking for credentials, then enter the same for an admin account. If the popup doesn’t ask for credentials, then simply click on Yes.
- Now try to install the Payroll Updates.
If this method doesn’t work for you, then move on to the next method.
🔰 Resetting Updates in QuickBooks
QuickBooks keeps the updated files that it downloaded previously. The previous files can interfere with the installation of new updates for both the accounting software and the payroll service.
So reset updates in your QuickBooks by following the steps given below:
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop and log in with an admin account.
- Go to the Help menu, then click on Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- In the Update Now tab, you need to select the option Reset Updates in order to remove previously downloaded update files from your system.
- After clicking on getting updates, wait for the program to download all the update files.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop. A pop-up will appear asking for confirmation to install the downloaded updates. Click on Yes to confirm and begin the installation of these updates.
Note:Admin accounts for both windows and QuickBooks are required to make changes to the software. If you don’t have the credentials for admin accounts in both the software, then you won’t be able to update QuickBooks.
Now you can try to download and install QuickBooks Payroll Updates. However, if QuickBooks Payroll still won’t update, then move on to the method below.
🔰 QuickBooks Payroll Error PS038
QuickBooks Payroll Error PS038 is exclusively related to the installation of updates and payments to employees. This error can occur because of several reasons. If you move through each method in this post, then you’ll be able to resolve this error easily.
To identify stuck paychecks with stats ‘online to send’, then follow the steps provided below:
- Log into QuickBooks Desktop with an admin account.
- In the Edit menu, click on Find.
- From the Advanced tab, click on Choose Filter.
- In the Filter list, go to the Detail Level.
- Go to the Choose Filter section after clicking on Summary Only.
- Choose Online Status from the filter options to find all the paychecks still stuck.
- Click on the drop-down menu, and choose ‘Online to Send’.
- Click on Find.
- Run the verify tool to find all the stuck paychecks.
Ensure that these payments are sent before you install updates for QuickBooks. These paychecks may be causing the error, so work carefully and proceed to the next method if the error still occurs.
🔰 Rebuild your Accounting Data
You can verify and rebuild your accounting data in QuickBooks with the inbuilt feature. This can help you in resolving any data-related errors that might be causing the error and preventing QuickBooks payroll from being installed on your system.
Read More:Set up Payroll in QuickBooks 2020
To verify and rebuild QuickBooks Data, follow the steps provided below:
- Log into QuickBooks with an admin account.
- From the File menu, click on Utilities.
- Click on Verify Data.
- To close all the windows, click on Ok.
- Click on the File menu once again.
- Under Utilities, select Rebuild Data.
- When the prompt to create a backup of the company file appears, click on Yes and select Ok.
- Click on Ok when the rebuild process finishes.
QuickBooks will verify the consistency of all your financial data in the company file. When you rebuild the data, all these errors are fixed automatically. Unless your company file is damaged, the verify and rebuild tools will be easily able to resolve the error.
Note:Ensure that you create a backup file before rebuilding data in QuickBooks. Your accounting software will automatically prompt you to create a backup of the company file. Go with the same so that you can have a safety option in case anything goes wrong. QB also has the option of automatic backup, which, when enabled, automatically creates a specified number of backup files so that you always have a previous version of the company file to restore on your system.
🔰 Update Account Info for QuickBooks Payroll Account
You need to provide essential information about your business and Principal officer when working with direct deposit in QuickBooks Payroll. Using this information, you can create a Payroll PIN that will authorize the payment for direct deposit.
Below, we’ve listed the information that you’ll need to work with direct deposit in Payroll:
- Name & Address of your business
- Industry and Business Type
- Principal Officers information:
- Home address
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Number
Only after providing this essential information can you create a Payroll PIN used for enabling direct deposit: the process of depositing funds directly into the bank accounts of your employees and contractors.
🔰 Incorrect EIN in Payroll
Has the ownership of your organization changed? When the ownership changes, so do the EIN number for the business. You can get a new EIN from the IRS. The Federal Employer Identification Number is required for filing tax returns and enabling direct deposit.
If the EIN is incorrect, you may get several errors with undefined causes. Once you’ve received the new EIN from the IRS, you can follow the steps provided below to update it in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
- Click on the Company menu.
- Choose My Company.
- Go to Company Information, then click on Edit.
- Click on Company Information on the left panel.
- Enter the new EIN in the Federal Employer Identification No. field.
- Click on Ok.
Note:You may have to contact Intuit so that they can update the EIN records for your business.
We’ve listed every method to resolve errors related to QuickBooks Payroll Won’t Update. Start off with running QuickBooks with admin privileges, and move down while going through each method. If you don’t have an admin account, get credentials for the same from your system administrator.
Note:If QuickBooks payroll still won’t update, then you can get in touch with our experts via live chat or call.
🔔 Frequently Asked Questions
🔵 Do I Need to Update my QuickBooks Payroll Subscription?
➤ You may have to if it’s going to expire. You can purchase the subscription once again from Intuit’s website or pay the required subscription fee whenever your subscription is about to expire.
🔵 What is Direct Deposit in QuickBooks Desktop?
➤ Direct deposit is a feature available in many payroll software. This feature lets employers deposit paychecks directly into the account of their employees. Direct deposit is obviously more efficient than printing out each paycheck, signing it, and then providing them to the employees so that they can then deposit the paycheck in their bank accounts.
🔵 Is a Signature Necessary for Direct Deposit?
➤ Yes, it is. You can upload a digital signature on QuickBooks desktop. This signature will be used on all the paychecks. You can physically print out the paychecks or use the direct deposit feature to pay your employees and contractors.