The QuickBooks accounting software has been helping businesses accomplish their accounting tasks with increased efficiency. QuickBooks is loaded with enhanced tools & functions and no wonder why it is extremely popular across the world. This blog will discuss one important feature embedded in this accounting software- the facility to upgrade to the multi-user mode with ease. Here, we will tell you how to upgrade QuickBooks to a Multi-user License and will also provide other related information. If you are yet to experience the multi-user capability in QuickBooks, this blog will help you immensely. Hence, we request you to go through the blog till the end.
How to Upgrade QuickBooks to a Multi-user License?
Here, we will look at a step-by-step procedure to Upgrade QuickBooks to a Multi-user License. Please follow the below-mentioned steps-
- Login to the server with the User ID & Password assigned to you
- After you have been authenticated, click the Start Menu on the desktop
- Click on Run
- Type “appwiz.cpl” on the textbox. ‘Appwiz. cpl’ is the component in the Control Panel responsible for Adding or Removing programs.
- Press Enter
- The Add/Remove Programs window will come up on your screen
- Right click on the name of the QuickBooks version that needs to be upgraded to multi-user
- Click on the Uninstall option from the drop down menu
- Now, navigate to My Computer
- Go to C drive
- Click on Documents and Settings
- Tab on All Users
- Go to Application Data
- Click on QuickBooks ****, where“****” indicates the version year
- Delete all the contents of this folder. This is to ensure a smooth installation.
- Install the QuickBooks software again, with the help of your valid product code and license code
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation
- Now, open QuickBooks
- Register QuickBooks with the validation code already provided to you.
- Navigate to the Help section
- Click on Manage License
- Click on Sync QuickBooks License Online
- Waitwhile your QuickBooks license is being upgraded to a multi-user one
Procedure to Setup a Multi-User Network in QuickBooks?
On a multi-user network, one system, called the server, hosts the company file. The other computer(s) in the network that does not host the company file is called workstation(s).
Here are the steps to follow-
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Set folder permissions on the server
- Now, install the Database Server Manager on the server
- Set the Windows admin rights.
- After the Database Server Manager gets installed, scan the folder that contains the company files.
- Next, turn on hosting
- Navigate to the File menu
- Click Utilities.
- Click Host Multi-User Access.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Finally, to access your multi-user network, you should sign in with admin rights on the server computer and the workstations
Final Words :
Many CPAs, accounting professionals and tax preparers have informed that they have faced issues while upgrading QuickBooks to a multi-user license. If you are one of them, we hope, the sequential steps above would help you fix such issues with utmost ease. If you are still having any issues in carrying out the steps above, you may consult with some authorized QuickBooks experts.
💠Frequently Asked Questions💠
How can I Register and Activate QuickBooks after Migrating My License to Another System?
Please follow the steps provided below:
▪ Open QuickBooks.
▪ Go to the help menu,
▪ Click on Activate QuickBooks Desktop tab
▪ Enter the product and license numbers in order to verify the information.
You can get the license and product numbers from the installation disc or your online Intuit account. If you have bought it from a third party, then get in touch with them to retrieve your QuickBooks software.
What are the Benefits of Upgrading to a Multi-User Platform in QuickBooks?
Upgrading to a multi-user platform in QuickBooks provides manifold advantages. Some of them are listed below-
▪ In a multi-user platform, you can have your employees work simultaneously. This will strengthen their spirit and motivation
▪ A multi-user platform helps the proper distribution of work. It helps reduce the stress and work pressure as there will be more helping hands to accomplish a particular task
▪ You can switch between single-user and multi-user modes at your convenience.
▪ You can enable about 30 users to work simultaneously in a multi-user environment
I want to Transfer my QuickBooks Desktop License to Another System. Will all of My Data be Transferred to the System, if I use the QuickBooks Migrator Tool?
No, the tool copies most of your financial data along with user information. However, it can’t copy the following:
▪ Multi-user setup: The setup preferences and configuration are not copied into the new system
▪ Backup files: The backup files created using QuickBooks are not copied into the new system automatically. You will need to move them manually.
▪ Payroll setup: you will need to register and sign in to your QuickBooks payroll account on the new system, in order to use it properly.